Friday, February 1, 2013

Woman! Thou Shalt Clean Thy Makeup Brushes!

Thou Shalt Clean Thy Makeup Brushes!;)

Hiyeeee! Its me again!  Just want to share how I clean thoroughly my makeup brushes!:) There are a lot of easy and quick ways to clean makeup brushes but this is how I do mine every weekend when I want them to be really clean and bacteria-free.  I do this once a week, usually on days that I dont need to wear makeup and use my beauty power tools. On hectic makeup days I just spot clean them by wiping off leftover pigments on baby wipes EXCEPT my liquid foundation brush. Cream or Liquid foundation brushes should always be thoroughly washed after every application because dirt and bacteria cling easily on wet or damp things. Using dirty liquid foundation brushes is obviously gross. If youre gonna do that, you might just as well use a duster or broom to apply liquid foundation on your face. LOL;P 
Read on to know how to clean and care for your beauty tools!:)

What You Will Need
  • Olive Oil
  • Baby Shampoo or Anti-bacterial Dishwashing Soap
  • A Dish/Plate
  • Vinegar
  • Container or Small Basin
  • 2 Clean Towels. Big and Small.
  • Masking Tape (optional)
How To
  • Rinse makeup brushes on tepid or warm water. Be careful not to wet the upper part of the ferrule (metal part of the brush).  Squeeze out excess water from the brushes.   

  • Mix baby shampoo or dishwashing soap with a small amount of olive oil on a dish. The olive oil will help to condition the bristles on your brush and shampoo or dishwashing soap will clean and dissolve any dirt and grime. I prefer using my daughter`s shampoo because it smells sooo nice and my brushes will smell like my daughter`s hair which I like to sniff all the time!;P tee hee!;))
Extra Virgin Olive Oil and my daughter`s baby shampoo!;)

  • Swirl your brushes on the dish one by one and take out all dirt, old makeup, dead skin cells, oil, bacteria, ex-boyfriends... LOL;P Clean those brushes like a mad woman!;D
Gross!;P See all those old makeup, dirt and grime? Very unsightly!  Thats what youll put on your face if you dont clean your brushes!

  • Rinse thoroughly your makeup brushes on warm running water. When you see water getting clear when rinsing thats when you know your brushes are squeaky clean. Squeeze out any remaining water on your brushes.


  • Next prepare to disinfect your brushes by soaking them in a mixture of 2 to 3 tablespoons of vinegar and warm water (NOT HOT) in a basin or container. Do not fill up the basin/container. Make sure the water level  is just below the upper part of your brushes` ferrule. Soak them brushes for 5 to 10 minutes.
Vinegar and Water Solution. Cheap and kills bacteria effectively!

Soak them babies for 5 to 10 minutes.
  •  After soaking the brushes on vinegar solution. Rinse them again with warm water and give your brushes a quick cold rinse to seal in the bristle hairs. Squeeze out all the excess water and dry them with a clean small towel. Set them to dry on a bigger towel by laying it flat on a surface and rolling one end inward. Lay your brushes on a slanted direction with the handles resting on the rolled part.  Nevah evah dry your brushes upright because water will seep into the ferrule and loosen the glue that holds the bristles in place.
A good way to dry your brushes. Nevah evah dry your army upright! Evaaaah!;P lol
  • Another way to dry your brushes is to tape the handles on a masking tape and stick the tape on a wall or anywhere where masking tape can hold on strongly. Like this....;P

Sometimes I prefer to dry my brushes this way `cause it doesnt ruin the shape of my brushes especially when I dont have a brush guard to keep it in shape.
There are quick and easier ways to clean your brushes and find out whats the best way for you. I just prefer it this way and im not saying that this is the best way to clean makeup brushes.:) As long as your brushes are clean enough to use there`s no problem!:) Cleaning and caring for your makeup brushes is very important because it prevents your face from breakouts and it makes makeup application easier. Who would also want dirt on their face right?;P  Be gorgeous not grossgeous!;D 

NOTE: Brushguards are really great for keeping your brushes in shape but when you dont have them you can always reshape your brushes the old way or try making DIY brushguards!  I`ll be posting and sharing how to make DIY brushguards soon. Goodluck and I hope this post helps!:) Mwah!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emi! Can i share your blog in our mag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, sure you can.:) Oh my! That is even flattering!:) Thank you for wanting to share my blog even though my blog looks so amateur. LOL:D

      Delete